Sunday, August 31, 2008

Warning about Colgate Total

I just wanted to share this strange experience I had recently. I bought a different kind of toothpaste than we normally use for some reason...it was probably on sale I'm sure. After about a week or so of using it my tongue felt like it was burnt. You know when you drink something too hot and it burns your tongue? It felt numb, swollen, irritated, a little tingly. The inside of my cheeks were sore too and my gums around my teeth were white. I've never had this happen before and I didn't really put two and two together for awhile so it just kept getting worse. My mouth was really feeling pretty miserable. I finally went out and bought our regular toothpaste again and immediately started feeling better. Matt was comparing the toothpastes and there is an extra ingredient called Triclosan in the Colgate Total. I looked it up online and read that there have been lots of problems with this chemical. There was one study done where 16 of 19 volunteers had exhibited skin irritation from this particular toothpaste. I've never heard of this and I can't believe that a toothpaste effected me like that. I just wanted to share in case this happens to someone else who may read this because I went on using this toothpaste without knowing that it was causing this problem. Matt used it too and was fine. My tongue is still recovering from it. Just take caution with Colgate Total with the chemical Triclosan.

1 comment:

Jill Garrison said...

How freaking strange!!! I would of done the same thing as you and just kept on using it lol....

Sensitive Andrea LOL...